Expressen’s editor-in-chief Thomas Mattsson has responded, among other, by requesting to Wikilekas in an article signed by him in Expressen ["Radio1 om Wikileaks", 4 March 2012], that WikiLeaks shall stop linking to Professors blogg analyses. Mattson unequivocally referred to Professors blog by naming in his article the “WikiLeaks anhängare” who participated in the program on WikiLeaks that took place in Radio1 (aired 3 March 2012).
This frantic appeal by the editor-in-chief shows partly a disregard from the part of Expressen to the principles of Free Speech – by trying to dictate WikiLeaks their choice of materials to quote or re-tweet, and partly that the arguments put forward in Professors blog in fact have disclosed a sensitive reality. Otherwise Expressen’s editor-in-chief Matsson would have not cared manifesting such a hazardous comment.
As Wikileaks is absolutely sovereign in choosing to link or quote any material, including those from Professors blogg – and if doing so they are most welcome -, so is Professors blog – a blog for Human Rights - in exercising the Freedom of Speech. As an answer to the said Expressen’s article, I publish here in-extenso a press release by the Human-Rights champion organization WikiLeaks referring to “Recent fabricated Stories in the Swedish Press”. A campaign - in my opinion - prominently led by Expressen.
I have found the document in the WikiLeaks twitter-list of today - March 6, 2012./ Prof. Marcello Ferrada de Noli, Italy (Bg).
A private design of a WL flag by Ferrada de Noli, 2011
Press release: WikiLeaks on Recent Fabricated Stories in the Swedish Press
6 March 2012 (18:00 GMT)
Over the past week various media in Sweden have been critically discussing WikiLeaks affairs. Much of these discussions have been based on two fabricated reports that originate from the daily tabloid Expressen.
The recent fabrications picked up in the Swedish media about alleged WikiLeaks plots on Swedish journalists and the Swedish state are completely false. WikiLeaks does not know who is behind this defamation, but perhaps those fearful of the impact of the cables referred to in the Rolling Stone article have attempted to disarm future exposures relating to Sweden’s Foreign Minister.
Expressen’s fabricated stories attempt to twist the publication of authentic materials about government, into a "smear campaign against all Sweden". Attempting to equate the reputation of one Moderate party politician, Carl Bildt, with the reputation of the entire Swedish nation is a clear manipulation and must be challenged. Expressen refuses to release any of its claimed evidence and its editor, Thomas Mattson is apparently too scared to debate WikiLeaks on SVT as to the merits.
WikiLeaks demands Thomas Mattson issue a full, front page retraction, or resign.
1. The only WikiLeaks related "smear campaign" in Sweden is the one the Expressen tabloid has waged against WikiLeaks since it became public that Julian Assange was to publish a column in its rival Aftonbladet, back in early August 2010. It is absolutely false that there is an "internal WikiLeaks’ memo" related to the subject. Nor, after own investigation, have we been able to find any person who is aware in any manner whatsoever of any WikiLeaks document with similar contents, anywhere. We note that Expressen refuses to release the alleged document. No such WikiLeaks document exists or ever has existed. WikiLeaks founded "scientific journalism" which mandates the release of full source documents, so everyone may check their veracity, precisely so the type of corrupt "journalism" practiced by Expressen over the past week may become a relic of the past.
2. The tabloid claims to have a ’WikiLeaks insider’ source who confirms the story. This is false. No WikiLeaks staff member has made such a confirmation and neither is such confirmation possible by any source, since no such WikiLeaks document has ever existed. This alleged ’source’ is either a fabrication or an impostor.
3. The tabloid then tries to manipulate other Swedish journalists into Expressen’s defence by claiming that WikiLeaks is secretly gathering data on specific Swedish journalists, including taking pictures outside of their homes, investigating their finances and obtaining secret Swedish government documents on them. This is also absolutely false. If anyone is spying on these journalists, it is not WikiLeaks or anyone instructed by WikiLeaks. WikiLeaks recommends that these journalists report any suspicious behaviour to the police.
4. WikiLeaks spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson has not said that the so-called ’internal memo’ exists or confirmed any Expressen allegations. Kristinn Hrafnsson told Expressen only that the information provided in the already published Rolling Stone January interview (that cables exist showing long term contact between Carl Bildt and George W. Bush spinmaster Karl Rove) was accurate. Anything to suggest the contrary is itself spin. Expressen claims to have a tape of Mr. Hrafnsson, which it may well do. That is not the point. The point is what the tape contains. We demand Thomas Mattson release the full tape or resign.
The nature of our work, exposing abuses of power, means that we have many friends but also many enemies. Attacks on our systems are resisted with strict security measures. But attacks on our reputation are also a reality. It may seem like spy movie, but intelligence agencies, spin campaigns, and assassination threats are a well documented reality when it comes to WikiLeaks. If WikiLeaks had not taken these issues seriously it would have been destroyed long ago.
▪ After the release of the US diplomatic cables in late November 2010, US Attorney General Eric Holder stated that there was a serious, active criminal investigation against WikiLeaks. The CIA has [publicly declared a WikiLeaks Task Force. Even earlier, the Pentagon publicly declared a 120-member operation into WikiLeaks working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
▪ The US is believed to have issued a sealed indictment for Julian Assange according to information from "global intelligence" firm Stratfor’s Vice-President for Terrorism. The Justice Department refuses to confirm or deny. The US Center for Constitutional Rights condemns an indictment against Julian Assange as a "dramatic assault on the First Amendment, journalists, and the public’s right to know";
▪ There is currently a secret Grand Jury investigating Julian Assange for espionage in Alexandra, Virginia, and the US is attempting to force alleged whistleblower Bradley Manning into a plea deal in order to implicate the real target, Julian Assange;
▪ A report from early 2011 commissioned by the Bank of America with advice from the US Department of Justice, detailed how to take WikiLeaks out including by illegal means and smear campaigns. The multi-pronged onslaught had a budget of $2 million/month. It was prepared for Washington law firm Hunton & Williams, which was hired by the Bank of America. The report was submitted to WikiLeaks) and the smear campaign is subject of ongoing investigations including a US Congressional probe.
▪ WikiLeaks is the subject of an extrajudicial banking blockade by VISA, MasterCard, Bank of America, PayPal and Western Union since December 2010. The blockade is outside of any administrative or judicial process. The US Treasury stated in January 2011 that there were no lawful grounds to put WikiLeaks on a blacklist. Despite the Treasury’s findings, the blockade remains in place. WikiLeaks has filed a complaint at the European Commission, and various litigations have commenced in different jurisdictions;
▪ Calls to assassinate or harm WikiLeaks staff as well as hate speech, slander and libel against this organisation have been unrelenting since the release of the Collateral Murder video. The CIA has refused to confirm or deny knowledge of ’current or previous plans to assassinate Julian Assange’ despite denying such knowledge for other public figures.
▪ Internal communications from the private intelligence firm Stratfor, which has extensive ties to US Government secret agencies, claim to detail part of the US government’s strategy to target WikiLeaks and Julian Assange. Stratfor states that the US is using the same tactics it uses against Al Qaeda to target WikiLeaks;
Irrespective of who is behind the campaign the effects remain the same: in terms of WikiLeaks, it is contaminating Swedish public opinion so as to reduce the level of our donations from Sweden, to make Julian Assange’s extradition to the United States politically feasible and to make a fair trial within Sweden for Mr. Assange, given the political nature of the lay judges system, difficult or impossible. In terms of the rest of the Swedish press and public, Expressen is degrading Swedish and European culture, for lies have negative social utility.
Articles published in Professors blog on the Swedish case against WikiLeaks and Julian Assange
6 March 2012. Sweden's FOI publicly slandering WikiLeaks while in secret building arms factory for Saudi Arabia dictatorship
6 March 2012. Indicting Julian Assange represents a dramatic assault on Free Speech, journalists, and the public right to know. By Jennifer Robinson
29 February. Professors blogg in debate with Expressen on Radio1. New attacks in Swedish media against Julian Assange
28 February 2012. Important Statement by the US Centre for Constitutional Rights regarding reported sealed Assange indictment
26 February 2012. What Julian Assange does with WikiLeaks is not only right. It is morally right, it is ethically right and it is legally right. By Jennifer Robinson
23 February. Anatomy of an untruthful scoop. Explaining Sweden’s psychological warfare against WikiLeaks and the political case VS Julian Assange. Part One
17 February 2012 (1). Journalister till tjänst i krigföringen mot Assange, och mot hederlig journalistik
13 February. Sweden and Pinochet. On Torture crimes, Extradition lawyers, and Politically designed judges. Part I
2 February 2012. The further political exploitation of the "Case Assange". Even if the Swedish legal system would not be politically minded, the Swedish case VS. Assange is still political, and so are the government interferences in the legal case
2 February 2012. U.S. Attorney General E. Holder does not prosecute U.S. torturers; he prosecutes those who speak out about U.S. torture. Will Julian Assange be next? By Jennifer Robinson
1 February 2012. The extradition process initiated in Sweden against the WikiLeaks founder is to the uppermost extent POLITICAL
29 January 2012. Summary of recent analyses covering Human-Rights issues in the J Assange and B Manning cases. By Andrew Kreig
27 January 2012. Swedish government using media to interfere in the legal process against Julian Assange
31 December 2011. Human Rights concerns regarding the case against Julian Assange. By Jennifer Robinson
22 December 2011. New Swedish deceptive information about Assange and the prospective of extradition to US
18 December 2011. Distinguished Intellectuals, Professors, Officers and Politicians in Letter to Australian Foreign Minister: Highly Concerned Over Prospective Sweden's Rendition of Assange to US
1 December 2011. The “Duck Pond” Theses. Explaining Swedish journalism and the anti-Assange smear campaign
29 November 2011. Further devious reports on Julian Assange in the Swedish National Television. Update
27 November 2011. EC to stop Facebook's harvesting of personal information. But Swedish connection could be worse than ad-targeting operations
7 November 2011. NATO medals to Sweden. Can Sweden US-aligned stand guarantee fair extradition process?
4 November 2011. Sweden will grant extradition of Assange to the US. If not stopped by international political pressure
1 November 2011. "Bild and Clinton in conference before decision on Assange extradition" in Second-Opinion
29 October 2011. London “Cyberspace” Conference. USA, Sweden and UK foreign ministers meet on Assanges' extradition verdict day
5 October 2011. From demon exorcism to State-feminism. Further background on the Swedish case against Assange
3 October 2011. The Satanism-theses of Eva Lundgren and the psychiatric origins of Swedish State-Feminism. Part I
8 September 2011 (22.14). Wikileaks cable on procedures at UN Women would help explain Sweden’s feminists campaign against Assange
9 August 2011. A London journalist does interview on negative Swedish-media reporting of Assange case
3 August 2011. More on Feminism and State-Feminism. Strawman argumentation against critic to the state-feminism factor in the Assange case
29 July 2011. Pseudo-Science in Swedish Rape Trials. With an Introduction on the Origins of State-Feminism in Sweden
17 April 2011. Swedish authorities face yet another irregularity in their sex probe of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. By Andrew Kreig
15 April 2011. Sweden's Serial Negligence in Prosecuting Rape Further Highlights the Politics Behind Julian Assange's Arrest. By Naomi Wolf
15 April 2011. Rigged documentary on Julian Assange in the Swedish National Television. Part 3: "Men are animals"
15 April 2011. Rigged documentary on Julian Assange in the Swedish National Television. Part 2: “Men that hate women”
15 April 2011. Rigged documentary on Julian Assange in the Swedish National Television. PART 1: The Political Agenda and Dirty Tricks
10 April 2011. Om Sverigedemokraternas utrikes politik är ”osvensk” vad är då Socialdemokraternas? Kampen för Assange och Mannings frihet fortsätter.
11 March 2011. Case Assange: Rights Activist Challenges Ethics of Swedish Courts, Media. By Andrew Kreig
26 Feb 2011. The Pirate Party should stand for their values. They should struggle for Assange and Wikileaks
18 Feb 2011. Anonymous Stop U.S. Business Plot Against, Bloggers, Unions, Rights Activists. Guest column by Andrew Kreig
13 Feb 2011. Karl Rove’s Swedish Connections: The Controversy And The Facts. Guest-article by Andrew Kreig
11 Feb 2011. Partner At Firm Counseling Assange’s Accusers Helped In CIA Torture Rendition. Guest-article by Andrew Kreig
10 Feb 2011. Karl Rove, Sweden, and the Eight Major Aberrations in the Police Sex Crime Reporting Process in the Assange Case. Guest-article by Naomi Wolf
4 Feb 2011. Key-witnesses severely contradict state-feminist Borgström & women-accusers in Sweden’s phony case against Assange